Ever since the early days of eTool we highlighted one of the risks to widespread LCA adoption is the varying levels of quality in building LCA models and subsequent loss in confidence of the results and conclusions drawn. To mitigate this we have ingrained a formal certification process provided inclusive within your subscription/project access fees. During the certification process, a senior eTool LCA practitioner is made available to your project for the purposes of:
- Assisting the LCA team with completing the study in compliance with relevant standards (we have now completed over 400 projects for BREEAM, LEED and Green Star so will ensure the model is completed to the correct requirements and no hold ups occur during the BREEAM/LEED/Gren Star verification).
- Providing credit for “3rd party verification” under BREEAM 2018.
- Reducing the risk to your clients and elevating the professionalism of your service by peer-reviewing your LCA study to ISO 14040 and ISO14044 standards.
- Assisting the LCA team with challenging concepts or modelling requirements.
- Improving the LCA teams efficiency in completing LCA/LCCs using eToolLCD.
- Providing the LCA team with potential strategies that may be worth considering to reduce the impact of the design.
The certifier will be “suitably qualified” to undertake peer reviews having as a minimum:
- Completed at least 3 paid for LCAs within the last 2 years
- eToolLCD advanced training course
- Experience or qualifications in interpreting construction documentation
The certification system ensures that consistent, high-quality LCA studies are produced from the eToolLCD software. This lends further credibility to your work when clients see the eTool brand on your reports.
The certification is provided for up to 6 designs within an eToolLCD Building or Infrastructure entity. These designs may be very early stage models, or later stage complete LCA/LCC models or a combination, typically:
- Concept Design Stage Base Model
- Concept Design Stage Improved Model(s) (including all options modelled for BREEAM)
- Concept Design Stage Final Model
- Technical Design Stage Base Model
- Technical Design Stage Improved Model(s) (including all options modelled for BREEAM)
- Technical Design Stage Final Model
eTool understand that good LCA/LCC modelling is an iterative process and will be on-hand from the outset to provide assistance and answer any questions surrounding the modelling and certification.
1. eToolLCD user submits initial model/s for review
2. eTool staff complete QA / QC Checks on eToolLCD model/s and provides feedback
3. eToolLCD user complete / update eToolLCD model/s
4. eToolLCD user submit final model/s for certification
5. eTool staff completes certification (and clones model to BRE account if required)
– An independent review of the eToolLCD designs (6 or less) conducted by a competent LCA practitioner commenting where applicable against each project, structure and model quality checks. As a minimum, the following is reviewed:
– In addition to ISO14040 and ISO 14044 quality checks the certifier will also review the following for both baseline models and optioneering models, in line with BREEAM 2018 requirements
- Material quantities are within +-10% of those shown in design documentation (both concept and technical design stage models)
- Where default figures for product service life, transport distance and construction waste have been adapted from generic material default values, there is adequate justificationa dn references.
- Adhesives are inlcuded if cover more than 20% of materials surface
- Study period of 60 years
– eToolLCD Certifier Review Statement documenting checks made, comments and user responses using the certification checklist. See example report here.
– Phone/email/weblink support throughout the process
For further information see eTool terms and conditions