|Total CO2e / Year / occupant (kg CO2e)||% Saved Against Benchmark||eTool|
|Embodied Carbon||750||10 %|
|Operational Carbon||-756||142 %|
|Total Carbon||-6||100 %|
- Improved design life through high quality architectural design and high occupancy levels
- Good use of raw finishes reducing embodied energy associated with plaster and paint
- Local materials suppliers and trade staff
- Low carbon assembly techniques
- A fantastic 9star rating thermal performance, requiring little to no air-conditioning
- Solar Hot Water system
- Smart energy metering for real time feedback on energy use
- 2.6kW Solar PV system offsetting all electricity consumption and feeding excess energy back into the network
It is interesting to note that the Solar PV system added considerably to the “embodied energy” of the design. Without it the “Embodied Carbon” component would have achieved a better rating. That said, the substantially reduced “Operational Impact”, due to the renewable energy input, more than offsets this increased “Embodied Impact” many times over during its design life.
We are still working with the client to further improve the design and remove even more carbon from the finished product. This is a great example of eTool being used from early concept stages through to the final design to get the best outcome both for cost and carbon.