Flo by Psaros
With views towards the hills, the city and overlooking the Swan River, Flo by Psaros is well positioned to become an important part of Perth’s eastern gateway rejuvenation masterplan. The Springs Project by Landcorp will transform the Rivervale area into a vibrant riverside community, and with Flo’s proximity to both the river and the city, this large scale sustainable development will no doubt be in great demand.
Flo is the fifth development by Psaros to include eTool’s full life cycle assessment and is expected to deliver the largest carbon reduction figures from any of their developments so far. Over the last 10 months, Psaros have been incorporating sustainable measures into both their developments and their business with a seven year environmental policy, public disclosure and carbon offsetting scheme now in place. Their investment in the sustainable development of Perth is truly commendable and we are delighted to see the success of these progressive projects in the marketplace.
|Impact Area||Total CO2e / Year / occupant (kg CO2e)||% Saved Against Benchmark||eTool Medal|
|Embodied Carbon||490||49 %|
|Operational Carbon||303||90 %|
|Total Carbon||793||81 %|
Higher density is a big part of the Springs Rivervale project. Flo by Psaros achieved a fantastic 150 years design life by slotting 86 apartments into an architecturally designed five-storey development. Design with correct density will reduce the redevelopment pressure and therefore increase building lifespan.
Using all the available roof space to generate clean energy on site is becoming a trademark of Psaros’ sustainable developments.
- Installing up to 180 kW solar photovoltaics will generate on site electricity, providing all apartments with up to 2kW and the remaining going to common areas of the building including lighting, lift and car park ventilation.
- Energy from the sun will be used to heat the water for domestic use and a gas boost will be used during the cloudy days with each apartment having an independent gas meter.
- The swimming pool will also be heated with a dedicated solar heating system.
- Solar Energy design consideration at Flo by Psaros will dramatically reduce costs for the occupants and reduce the environmental impact of building operations.
Intelligent building controls
Electricity monitoring will provide each apartment with the ability to preview their electricity use online, helping occupants to conserve energy and save money on electricity bills.
Motion sensors will reduce lighting at common areas and the use of CO sensors to reduce car park ventilation by running fans only when required.
- Low embodied carbon design using Bubbledeck to minimise use of concrete in all elevated floors, and bamboo flooring.
- Cabinetry with well ventilated fridge space to increase the efficiency of the condenser and reduce fridge energy use.
- Internal clothes line to reduce reliance of dryer.
- High efficiency air conditioners.
- High efficiency lift with regenerative drive and standby controls for lighting and ventilation.
This assessment was conducted by Henrique.