Experienced LCA assessors AECOM completed a life-cycle environmental assessment of Landmark Court in Southwark. A mixed use scheme, the development provides workspace, a shared tenure residential building, a restored historic building, restaurants, shops and a market amidst a network of new streets.
The project is targeting a BREEAM Excellent rating, and will incorporate highly efficient building fabric, air source heat pumps and renewable energy generation in the form of rooftop PV panels to minimise energy demand and CO2 emissions.
The LCA was modelled to BREEAM UK NC 2018 criteria, and has achieved the options appraisal credits for superstructure, substructure and hard landscaping at concept design.
Superstructure options appraised included:
- Post-tensioned concrete flat slabs on concrete frame vs. Composite concrete deck on a steel frame vs. Cross Laminated Timber floor slabs
- Aluminium framed windows vs. aluminium clad timber frame windows vs. timber frame windows
Substructure and hard landscaping options appraised included:
- Shallow reinforced concrete piles, stone column ground improvement piles and a concrete raft slab; vs. to deep bored concrete piles and a concrete transfer slab.
- York Sone paving vs. granite setts vs reclaimed paving hard landscaping
AECOM will go on to revisit and repeat this process for BREEAM UK NC 2018 criteria at technical design to help consider material/products level alternatives to help inform the design team on the environmental impact of these more detailed design decisions.
- LCA Assessor: AECOM
- Scheme: BREEAM NC 2018 (NC)
- Gross Floor Area: 26,511m2
- Net lettable Area: 18,777m2
- Client: U+I
- Architect: Allies and Morrison
- Date: March 2019
- Location: Southwark, London
“eTools prebuilt templates made it relatively easy to build up the baseline LCA model and then quickly compare different design options to help meet BREEAM 2018 requirements. The interface also helped us to easily recognise which building elements were contributing the most to the overall environmental impact from the building and show what improvements are possible through alternative design solutions and materials.
Thanks to all the team at eTool for their ongoing help.”
Ben Carr – Consultant, AECOM
This LCA was certified by Henrique Mendonca.