The Australian Sustainable Built Environment Council (ASBEC) proposes an Adaptation Policy Framework to improve the resilience of the built environment in the face of climate change.
This framework aims to:
- Protect the wellbeing of communities through targeted policy initiatives and better urban and building design;
- Ensure appropriate institutional arrangements to facilitate adaptation;
- Realise economic benefits from early adaptation through effective strategic planning and risk minimisation;
- Advance sustainability through better resource and risk management strategies; and
- Increase community education and awareness about climate change risks and adaptation.
10 key ideas have been forward to demonstrate who the government can reach these goals.
1. ENGAGE WITH INDUSTRY
2. LEAD BY EXAMPLE
3. SPONSOR APPLIED RESEARCH
4. PROVIDE BETTER ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND TOOLS
5. INVEST IN EDUCATION
6. PROVIDE INCENTIVES
7. REFORM AND IMPROVE REGULATION
8. REVIEW BUILDING CODES AND STANDARDS
9. IMPROVE PLANNING SYSTEMS AND OUTCOMES
10. IMPROVE INSURANCE AND FINANCIAL SERVICES
Read the entire framework here.
Read the accompanying report here.